In seven quick questions, Joanne paints us her professional journey !
- What are your main responsibilities at Agence Rinaldi?
I am in charge of human resources: this includes the well-being of the employees, the team’s morale. I also take care of the computer equipment. You could say that I am a buffer between the employees and the president!
- What type of studies (or other types of training) did you pursue?
I took secretarial courses.
- What professional experiences did you acquire prior to joining the Rinaldi team?
My journey is not a common one, my husband being president of the agency! He had made the decision to move to a building that was basically just four walls. At the same time, he was heading to Vancouver for the Olympics and needed someone to oversee the construction work. His assistant, who was also in charge of human resources (the agency had only 8 employees!) announced she was leaving as well – permanently – to return to Argentina. Since the nature of human resources is very confidential, she had suggested to Maurice that I take over temporarily, while he found someone else. It’s been 13 years and I’m still here!
- What compelled you to work in advertising?
As mentioned, I ended up there a bit by chance. But I can say that, compared to the world of finance (I worked for an insurance company and for BMO), the world of advertising is much more exciting, and never redundant.
- What advice would you give to someone who wishes to work in an agency?
You have to be ready to work hard and give a lot of your time. Since we are in the service business, customer service is also extremely important. We have no product to sell; what we sell are ideas and services.
- What do you feel are the three main qualities that make for a good human resources director?
You have to have a lot of compassion, be a good listener, and always have good knowledge of the ever-changing industry standards.
- Where do you find inspiration, in your daily life?
When I see that the agency is running well, that the employees arrive at the office in a good mood, with a smile on their face; when I see that the president is satisfied with the month’s end. All of this inspires me to continue to work hard and to keep finding innovative ideas to keep our employees motivated!